A Hearty Autumnal Yam Soup In Just 15 Minutes (Courtesy Of My Mother)
The temperatures have been dipping here in Ohio, and I have been craving a warm, comforting bowl of soup all week! Luckily, my mother came to my rescue (as she always does!) and reminded me of this simple yet delicious recipe: yam soup in 15 minutes!
It's one of the easiest recipe in my mother's (and now mine too) arsenal and I'm so happy to share it with you today! It's simple and oh-so delicious. You can make it during your weekly meal prep session and store it for a quick fix. If you are always strapped for time and looking for a last meal idea, this can totally be your go-to! So let me show you, how to make a hearty autumnal yam soup in 15 minutes!
4 medium sized yams
1 medium onion - chopped
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup 2% milk or half and half cream
1 teaspoon of minced ginger
1 teaspoon of olive oil
salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
a dollop of fresh cream, paprika sprinkles or toasted sunflower seeds
Course: any meal
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
1) Boil/steam yams in pressure cooker or instant pot until soft and tender. Allow to cool and remove skin.
2) Heat olive oil in a heavy sauce pan. Saute chopped onion and ginger until onions are soft and translucent.
3) Add cooled yams to the cooked onions/ginger and mush using the back of a wooden spoon or a hand blender if you desire something completely smooth.
4) Add 1 cup of vegetable broth.
5) Stir on low heat until soup is thick and creamy.
6) Add fresh cream or 2% milk and bring to boil.
7) Add salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
8) Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
9) Serve with a dollop of cream, sprinkles of paprika or toasted sunflower seeds.
And there you have it folks - a hearty autumnal yam soup in just 15 minutes. If you try this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below, tag me in a photo on instagram using #thisissimplicite or send me an email! You can also pin this for later by clicking on the image below. Bon Appetit!